National Security Through Technology
Investment in defence science and technology will be focused on six critical outcomes.
- Providing support to the Armed Forces in their operations.
- keeping the Armed Forces one step ahead of their opponents by developing technological advantage.
- Making equipment more affordable and sustainable.
- Ensuring the UK has the facilities, infrastructure and skills to maintain its technological edge.
- Helping Ministers and Government make the right decisions based on robust evidence.
- Ensuring the Armed Forces have the protection, help and support they need to undertake difficult and dangerous activities and providing effective surveillance and influence to reduce risk and harm in the future.
To provide the Armed Forces with the best capabilities the UK can afford - both now and in the long term.
The Defence Science and Technology Programme will support current operations
This will be achieved by providing:
- rapid solutions to emerging and urgent operational issues and requirements through technological development and demonstration
- a systems approach to providing the required operational capability
- evidence-based analysis for current operational decision making.
This is in direct support of the MOD’s current main effort, operations in Afghanistan. The technology created must be adequately understood and de-risked for rapid insertion into existing equipment, systems, structures or techniques. Any technology deployed must have a high probability of delivering results within the operation’s lifetime.